By: Edipolo A. Mosquito, Jr.
In order to make the holiday season more meaningful and memorable to the Alegriahanons, the Local Government Unit of Alegria through the strong leadership of Hon. Mayor Dominador “ Yoyoy” G. Esma, Jr. initiated the 1st Pamilya and Barangay Daygon Contest. The word “Daygon” is a local name for the Christmas Carol. The Pamilya Daygon Contest was participated in by 4 families coming from Barangay Chapels of Poblacion, San Pedro, Budlingin and San Juan of San Isidro Labrador Parish this municipality. While the Barangay Daygon Contest were participated by the barangay council of Barangays Gamuton, Poblacion, Ombong, Anahaw, San Pedro and Pongtud. The said contest held on December 28, 2008 at the Community Stage hosted jointly by the Roman Catholic Church in celebration of the Feast of the Holy Family and LGU Alegria. The said contest started at 7:00pm where the main sponsors of this event were Engr. Rene G. Esma, Joanne E. Lugto and Hon. Guillermo A. Romarate, Jr., Congressman, 2nd District of Surigao del Norte.
The criteria of the Daygon Contest consisted of the following:
Stage Performance/Discipline (10%)
Mastery of the Song (25%)
Voice Quality (30%)
Prizes at stake:
1st Prize P3,000.00
2nd Prize P2,000.00
3rd Prize P1,000.00
Consolation Prizes of P500.00 each to non-winning entries.
The families that joined the Pamilya Daygon Contest were the following:
- Mr. & Mrs. Constantino A. Mosquito with children Kimberly Klaine, Karla Kasten & Kristoff Polo representing Poblacion Chapel.
- Mr. & Mrs. Felix D. Basil with children Miguelito, Melissa, Fely & Jayson representing San Juan Chapel.
- Mr. & Mrs. Cristino Tillo with children Noel, Nelson & Maryrose representing Budlingin Chapel.
- Mr. & Mrs. Lito Lapura with children Elito, Erlito, Jumar & Junard representing San Pedro Chapel.
The following barangay council that joined the Barangay Daygon Contest were the following:
- Brgy. Poblacion Council members headed by Brgy. Captain Carmelita U. Casana
- Brgy. Ombong Council members headed by Brgy. Captain Vicente Ebana
- Brgy. San Pedro Council members headed by Brgy. Captain Cheryl W. Zamora
- Brgy. Anahaw Council members headed by Brgy. Captain Nelita C. Calubag
- Brgy. Gamuton Council members headed by Brgy. Captain Virgilio Amoncio
- Brgy. Pongtud Council members headed by Brgy. Captain Romanito Taer
Pamilya Daygon Contest Winners:
Mr. & Mrs. Lito Lapura of San Pedro Chapel – 1st Prize Winner
Mr. & Mrs. Cristino Tillo of Budlingin Chapel- 2nd Prize Winner
Mr. & Mrs. Felix D. Basil of San Juan Chapel- 3rd Prize Winner
Mr. & Mrs. Constantino A. Mosquito- Consolation Award
Barangay Daygon Contest Winners:
Brgy. Poblacion – 1st Prize Winner
Brgy. Pongtud – 2nd Prize Winner
Brgy. Anahaw – 3rd Prize Winner
Brgy. San Pedro
The competitions Board of Judges were Engr. Lorelie M. Bacarrisas, Flordeliza L. Patino & Wilson A. Ignalig.
During the Christmas message of Mayor Esma, he was very impressed of the contestants’ performance and the ingenuity of their presentations. He promised to have this Daygon Contest be sustained in the next years to come. He further stressed that prizes shall be increased to invite 100% participation among the 8 barangay chapels in the parish and 12 barangay councils in the municipality, respectively. However, he said that the 1st Daygon Contest ever made was a successful one and wishes to all Alegriahanons for more fruitful years ahead. ♥