Every 15th day of June, the Municipality of Alegria, Surigao del Norte celebrates its foundation day. By virtue of Republic Act No. 5239 passed by Congress of the Philippines dated June 15, 1968 Alegria became a municipality where the celebration was based, thus, annual activities were done to give meaning to the said commemoration. Prepared and planned programs in connection to foundation day started in the year 1986 with different activities displayed but made in a simple manner.
Not until June 15, 2006 wherein more activities were added to promote the occasion and linked the newly developed Lumondo Waterfalls at Barangay Budlingin. This was done in order to be known to far distant places as the new ecotourism destination of LGU Alegria by having the 1st Mutya ng Alegria where the falls served as the main attraction of the show along with the competing beauties coming from the 12 barangays of this town. So far, it was successful as expected and the first crowned Mutya ng Alegria 2006 was Miss Ella M. Reambonanza of Barangay Anahaw. However, due to the May 14, 2007 local and national elections, the next mutya search was cancelled and celebration of Adlaw nan Alegria was deferred due to emergence of another incoming administration on July 1, 2007.
Under the new leadership, Hon. Mayor Dominador G. Esma, Jr. reactivated the composition of the Municipal Tourism Council. This time under his Chairmanship with Hon. SB Member Suzette Zamora-Dagcuta as the Vice Chairperson, the tourism council members are in the persons of Mr. Rene S. Pana, Mr. Raul C. Micompal, Mr. Ryan T. Abarico and Mr. Joselito Y. Madelo. Mr. Edipolo A. Mosquito, Jr. appointed as the Municipal Tourism Officer designate over his organic position in the local government unit of Alegria. After the said body was organized and strengthened, the first quarter of 2008 marked the plans on how to effectively conduct the 2nd Mutya nan Alegria presentation commemorating the 40th foundation day of the LGU. To insure the success of the search, SB Suzette Zamora-Dagcuta served as the chairperson of the mutya pageant where several plans and strategies were drawn and implemented relevance to the activity.
Furthermore, meetings and discussions were called to iron out issues and concerns in the upcoming Adlaw nan Alegria. This time it was unanimously adopted to have the following presentations and activities that started on May 13, 2008 and ended June 15, 2008, from the Patronal town fiesta to Adlaw nan Alegria celebration, as follows:
- Float parade competition rode by mutya contestants per barangay using indigenous materials in the making of float
- Inter-local basketball competition between Barangay Officials, Municipal Officials, employees, and representatives from Department of Education, Alegria District.
- Exhibition games of All Star Basketball Tournament of Surigao City Team versus Butuan City Team.
- Other parlor games participated in by Barangay Officials, Department of Education and the municipal officials and employees of LGU Alegria.
- Agro trade fair booth competition participated in by the 12 barangays.
- Awarding of winners to those who won under the Ecological Sustainability and Management of Alegria (ESMA program). Under this program, the search for cleanest and greenest barangay, best purok and best household will be selected in a semi-annual basis. Category A barangays covered Barangays Julio Ouano, Gamuton, Anahaw and Poblacion while under Category B represented by Brgys. San Pedro, Alipao, San Juan and Pongtud while barangays under Category C were Brgys. Ombong, Budlingin, Camp Eduard and Ferlda.
- Open Hip-hop dance contest.
- Open Videoke challenge contest, children, and adult category.
- Presentation of cultural dances initiated by the municipal officials and employees, DepEd and representatives coming from the 12 barangays during the May 14, 2008 Balik-bayan Night sponsored by LGU Alegria and private sector.
Of the above-mentioned activities during the 40th celebration, the main featured presentation was the Mutya nan Alegria 2008 pageant. The Mutya nan Alegria actively participated by eleven contestants representing eleven barangays since Barangay Ferlda unabled to send their contestant. Generally, the entire choreography of the said activity was presentably well prepared and was in order, a much-improved presentation over the past. One of the indicators that proved the success was the tremendous presence of audience who witnessed the pageant, of course, with the strong support of the incumbent municipal officials. The luckiest contestant who withstands the hectic scrutiny of the board of judges was Miss Joana Jane Janson of Barangay Poblacion and was crowned as Mutya nan Alegria 2008 on June 14, 2008 by Hon. Mayor Dominador G. Esma, Jr. and representing the Provincial Governor was District II Provincial Board Member, Hon. Melba P. Garcia.
The 40th Foundation Year of Alegria was also highlighted with the First State of Municipal Address (SOMA) of Mayor Dominador G. Esma on June 15, 2008 during the Special Session of the Sangguniang Bayan of Alergia. Mayor Esma humbly enumerated the accomplishments he made during his almost one year of administration and fairly presented his next development plans for the municipality. Graced with the affair was Hon. Guillermo A. Romarte, Jr. who also sent his committed support to help the municipality of Alegria.
Highlighted also in the celebration were the blessings of the newly completed wet market building, public comfort rooms, streetlights, and acquired ambulance.
In related developments, prizes given and extended to lucky winners of the competition sponsored by the LGU and donors in the evening of June 15, 2008 to the following recipients:
- The most cleanest and greenest barangay went to Barangay Poblacion under Category A, Barangay San Pedro in Category B while Category C winner went to Barangay Budlingin.
- Under the best Purok Category A awarded to Purok 7 of Barangay Julio Ouano, the best Purok Catergory B was Purok 5 of Barangay Alipao and the best Purok category C was Purok 2 of Barangay Camp Eduard.
- Winner of best household category A was awarded to Mr. & Mrs. Linda Z. Bacud, for Category B was Mr. & Mrs. William Maceren of Barangay San Juan and winner under Category C was Mr. & Mrs. Erlinda Cainoy of Barangay Camp Eduard.
- Best agro-fair booth competition awarded to Barangay Poblacion.
- Winner of Inter local-basketball tournament joined by 3 teams went to Barangay Officials team.
- Inter local-volleyball tournament participated by 3 teams went to Municipal Officials and employees team.
- Winner in the best float presentation in connection to Mutya nan Alegria pageant was Barangay Anahaw.
- Winner of Open Hip-hop contest was The Techno Guys dancers of Barangay Del Rosario, Tubod, Surigao del Norte.
- Videoke Challenge winner children category was Eden K. Sauro of Barangay San Pedro.
- Adult category winner was Mr. Richard Patriarca of Bad-as, Placer, Surigao del Norte
In the next Alegria foundation celebration, we aspire to improve every activity and program to fulfill our aim in promoting our place, locally and abroad. By so doing, we will not stop exploring the best possible ways to gain more successes that will compliment to the progress in terms of economic endeavor, Mayor Esma said.